End of an Era: Neymar retires from Brazil duty after 16 unforgettable years
Neymar has announced his retirement from international football, bringing the curtain down on a remarkable 16-year career with Brazil.
The 34-year-old confirmed his decision in late July, just weeks after Brazil's disappointing exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Speaking after a match for Santos, Neymar said he felt the time was right to step away from the national team.
"I think my time with the national team has already passed," he said. "I made history there and I'm very happy about it. I gave everything I had and always fought for the yellow shirt. But I don't think I want it anymore."
His final appearance for Brazil came in the World Cup round-of-16 defeat to Norway on 5 July. Neymar came off the bench to score a late penalty in the 2-1 loss before an emotional farewell after the final whistle.
Reflecting on the occasion, he said it felt fitting that his international career ended at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey – the same ground where he made his Brazil debut against the United States back in 2010.
Neymar finishes his international career with an outstanding record of 80 goals and 58 assists in 130 appearances, making him Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer after surpassing the legendary Pelé.
He represented Brazil at four FIFA World Cups – in 2014, 2018, 2022 and 2026 – but the one trophy he longed for always remained out of reach. His biggest senior international success came with victory in the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, while he also helped Brazil win Olympic gold on home soil in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
Injuries disrupted the latter part of his international career, including a serious knee injury that kept him out of the national side for much of the period between late 2023 and his surprise recall by coach Carlo Ancelotti for the 2026 World Cup.
Despite those setbacks, Neymar remained one of the most gifted and influential footballers of his generation.
With his Brazil career now over, his focus turns entirely to Santos, the club where his professional journey began. Neymar has made it clear he intends to continue playing club football for as long as he is physically able.
His retirement marks the end of a memorable chapter in Brazilian football. Although he never fulfilled his dream of lifting the World Cup, Neymar leaves behind an extraordinary legacy as Brazil's record goalscorer and one of the country's finest-ever players.


Comments
Post a Comment